No. 1 Manning Depot – Toronto 1941 March 1941

Security Guard Training

Security Guard Training, #1 Manning Depot, Toronto, 1941 (Frank Sorensen, kneeling, 2nd from left) - Copy

Frank Sorensen - Security Guard Training, #1 Manning Depot, Toronto, 1941

Dad - #1 Manning Depot, Toronto, 1941

Dad - #1 Manning Depot, Security Guard Training, 1941

All these photos are part of Frank Sorensen’s collection of WW II photos. Frank Sorensen became a Spitfire pilot, and he survived the war. His daughter is now sharing her research about her father on this blog.

This is one letter her father wrote…

March 26, 1941

Security Guard Training

#1 Manning Depot, Toronto

Dear Mother & Dad;

Oh, I’m tired tonight, good and tired. I just came from a free show here in the building, it wasn’t much of a show hardly worth while seeing.

Get up at 6:00, make my bed, polish my boots and buttons, wash and go for breakfast. P.T. parade at 7:45 in fatigue clothes, we are marched outside and the Corp. chases us round the place. It’s just wonderful to have P.T. in weather 10 degrees above. One really has to work to keep warm. After P.T. we have squad drill until 11:30. Then I go to my bunk and rest a bit. I am a little tired especially my shoulders but the more it hurts the more I work with it. Tomorrow I don’t think I’ll feel anything. After dinner I have to be at another parade or route march at 1:30 and at 4:15 we are through for the day. I go to my bunk, rest, shine my buttons, I am awfully tired but after my daily shower I feel perfect. I shave twice a week. Supper at about 5:00, then I line up for my mail if any and I wish again that my name began with anything but S.

I go to my “home” again (bunk) play the banjo or I go to the lounge to write. I might also go for a walk along Lake Ontario – alone – believe me or not. You see, I realize now how expensive it is to fool about with women and what a lot of waste of time. Of course I wish I knew a real girl, but I’ve got plenty of time.

If I keep on spending money at the rate I am now I should be able to send ¾ of my money home. I’ll get $40 a month, $1.20 a day. It’s not much money, but I don’t see why I should spend it on food or anything of the kind when I get all the food I can eat (plenty of butter and apples). For the last week or so I have had 38 cents in my money belt and yesterday I spent the last bit as I missed my supper (because I have no watch). We’ll get paid next Monday for the first time. The $5 Dad gave me soon went on a money belt, boot polish, Brasso, etc. You don’t get everything in the army. It’s lights out now so goodnight.

Friday – I didn’t get my mail yesterday so I got your letter today. I was going to make this one a long letter but your letter reminded me that Dad was soon leaving so I’ll send it now. I just had my dinner and I have about ½ hour to get ready for the afternoon parade. I’m on what is called Security Guard Training which lasts for about 10 days so I won’t be here very long. The day Wilkins was in town we all marched down town. He stood on a platform as we marched past. In the evening we got free tickets to hear his speech and I went. As he was through he got up on the table and he nearly fell down. I went out before the others and stood in the front row as he got in the car.

Last week I went to “Lille Norge” and had a talk with them. They also take Danish subjects. I spent an evening with a fellow Nielsen. I must go.

Love Frank

2 thoughts on “No. 1 Manning Depot – Toronto 1941 March 1941

  1. Pierre,
    I have attached my cousin (once removed) Major Albert P. Muska’s navigation school yearbook and newspaper article of his missing in action notice. There are many strange things we are finding out about his missing status. The first is it took 17 days to send a search party to locate his plane a crew. The plane took off on 11/3/1943 but a search party was not dispatched until 11/20/1943. They never found the plane or crew. The second mystery is it took over a year after Albert’s death to issue his mother a Purple Heart Medal. If there are any experts out there in WWII Army Air Force protocol, I’d like to hear their theories why these delays took place. It was almost like they took the plane out for a joy ride. My cousin, Gary recalls as a small boy his father, another uncle and family friend said Albert and crew were on a highly confidential mission.

    Ken Muska

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s